Friday, June 09, 2006

Pay No Attention to the Woman Behind the Curtain!


Well, I'm not actually *behind* the curtain - I'm more in front of it and reflected behind it, but this isn't Plato's Cave.

I finished my curtains, obviously.


These pictures actually show the green of the wall, a little, don't you think? I'm actually quite proud of the job I did. You notice they are even. I was a little surprised, myself. :) The corners are nice, if not 100% neat:

They are, in fact, squared off. I sewed that hem by going back to back with a piece of white fabric. I want the front of the house to be consistent, with the same white curtain color in every window from the street. I made lines of stitching every so often, so that the two fabrics didn't "pillow", but rather acted as one single piece of fabric. The bottom of the hem shows this...sorta...

The upshot of the curtains being done is that the front of the house is the south side of the house, meaning lots and lots of sun streams in through my office windows. I love that in the winter - it feels very warm and fuzzy when I am cold and prickly. Unfortunately, in the summer it becomes warm and sticky. Not so awesome. The curtains, being lined, block the heat of the sun during the hottest part of the day. On days like today, when it's cloudy or overcast, I can open the curtains completely to let in the non-hot daylight. Unlike my vampiric husband, I like the light.

I'm going to use the same fabric to make a cover for a round pillow or a neck roll and also as a cover for one of the Ikea cubes we have had for years. They've had covers (bad ones, mind you) on them already, but those covers have passed from this earth. I doubt I'll get to it this weekend since the plan is to build a desk and shelves (and a chaise, but Gene doesn't know about that yet). The weekend after that isn't looking too good, either, since we'll be in Eagle River, but maybe after that? It all depends on my mood and the whims of the creative gods.

This past weekend, Travis, Kat and Taylor came to visit us all the way from Ohio. I don't think they realized just how far we are from downtown...until we picked them up from Midway, ha ha. That first morning, we were able to see just where Taylor gets his crazy hair...

The only picture we have of Kat from this weekend is also from this very same morning, but that's just mean to do to a girl. I don't mind making fun of Travis, though. ;) Taylor is growing a ton - he is really funny! We got Travis a giant cookie cake, since Saturday was his birthday:

And Taylor thought it was pretty interesting and tasty.

I take it back - that last picture has a corner of Kat in it.

But it was great to have them here.

On another, unrelated note, my heartfelt thanks to Kelly for letting me hang out with the cool kids on Tuesday, even though the universe hasn't let me come to her house yet. I will make it, some day!

Ciao, all! I'm off to do homework and then play with power tools!

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I'm voting that you make my curtains

 

Post a Comment

<< Home