Friday, May 19, 2006

Purply Goodness

I said I would update more often.

I lied. :D

Firstly, I would like to thank the ladies at Threadbared for allowing me to add them as a link. So very fun, that page! I am slightly embarassed to admit that the room divider in Pantyhose Craft Week (Part I), which I am unable to link to here for some reason, is very near the idea I have for a drapery "experience" in the Family Room. It's actually based on a bead I found, not on pantyhose, but I have considered the benefits of stretchy yet supportive nylon on my windows. They are, as of now, quite bare.

Incidentally, as I was looking for this photo, I found one of my favorite Emma (the dog) pictures from last Fourth of July. Apparently the Thompsons are a bit too much for her (who can blame her ?) and she needed to hide in a nice, cool place for a while.


In other news, I visited my mom as a surprise this past Mother's Day weekend. I trained in (is that a verb?) and had my dad pick me up. An interesting note: the cabins look quite nice and comfortable. I know this because I got lost. In a moving train. Forwards and backwards are your options; I picked wrong. The gentleman whose door I opened was shocked but nice and didn't chase me down the winding train through the restaurant. Honestly, the door said "Exit", or I wouldn't have opened it. Needless to say, it was not an exit.

While I was in Toodle-ee-doo, I managed a photo of the infamous "Bedroom Carpet". Kelly and Gretchen - this one's for you. It's a knitting version of Where's Waldo :


And just to prove that the piece of knitting is really there, I have this:

Not only did I live with that carpet for many, many years, but my Aunt-in-law (?) wants a sweater that is made of the same colors. I never thought I would see the combination again! Truth be told, I had hoped I would never see it again. And now, I am knitting a sweater with this monstrous combination. Melissa thinks I shall be knitting it forever, and that no one at the Lake County KTog will know who I am if I have another project. I am starting to think she is right.

I have managed to put the whole sweater together for Delores and I'm on the details, now. The cuffs are on and I'm going around the edges with a garter border to help with shaping.

The collar doesn't look very collar-y since it's on my circs (after discussion last night with the gurus in Panera) but trust me. It's quite a substantial collar. And yes, the sweater really is that small. Delores is a small person. And yes, the dog is really that big. Emma is a Great Pyrenees. I think that Emma (the dog) is bigger than Delores.

Knitting projects just fly off my needles (hahahahahahahahaha...haha..ha...).

I got bored with the Bedroom Carpet Sweater and knit up an iPod cover quickly with the fun yarn left over from Suzy's SSRH* pillow and some olive green fun fur that once called out to me. Something interesting to know: knitting stretches. I know this, but I must have forgotten. My iPod holder does, in fact, hold an iPod - horizontally. Unfortunately, when the iPod is exerting its whopping 8 ounces of plastic heft onto the knitting, it just falls out and yanks on my earphones. I am debating ways to fix this. Comments appreciated.

I also finished my Knitting Olympics project. The Winter Olympics ended...oh...4 months ago or so. I had the knitting part done a while ago (although not on time), but I needed to take care of the button in the back. I didn't want to just sew a button on there. Oh, no, that would be way too easy! I wanted to sew a piece of 3" satin ribbon on the button flap to help support the fabric (since it's stockinette and it's curly) and THEN sew on a button. That takes planning! That takes guts! That takes having all the materials in roughly the same area at the same time!

So now, I shall wait until Sydney is old enough to have children of her own before I send it, I suppose.

Purply goodness continues, with the blossoming of my lilac. I have waited a very very long time to have a lilac that bloomed. I love lilacs. I love the smell, I love the colors, I love the tiny little flowers. In fact, it was the key flower in our wedding, although we didn't have very many since we were married in March and the lilac season is much later. Rest assured that I consider my wedding flower to be a lilac.

The best thing about this is that this is a living plant. Of course it is! you say. What makes that fact so spectacular is that I have had many many sticks of lilac that never became anything. I much prefer the growing, not to mention blooming kind.

And with that, this blooming idiot shall be signing off. Ciao!

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

YAY, an update! I do check every day. I love that picture of Emma, I had never seen it before. Blogger makes it seem like we don't live SO far apart. I need to update mine. I don't have a hangover today so I see a new BLOG coming soon! ;) Have a great time at Amy's graduation!! Miss you!!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

that must be the prettiest carpet ever!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got a picture of the much talked about (for years and years and...) because this month it is going to ADIOS and it will only be a memory. (the stories of the "girls' carpet will only get funnier as time goes by...besides, when Delores wears her sweater you get to see it again, and again, and...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home