Monday, September 04, 2006

Measure Twice, Cut Once.

I'm not sure where the wierd comment came from on the last post. I've never played the guitar. Apparently, I was on some sort of random blog something or other. I also apologize for the VERY convoluted sentences in my last post. Faulkner would have been proud, I think.

Since the vacation, I've done a bit of knitting on my lightweight sweater from the Katia book, but I need to do some math because Mediterranean women apparently don't have the volumnous upper arms that I have. My brain isn't ready to do it - it took a very long time to get the pattern right. I knitted and frogged the swatch about 5 times before I got it right.

Instead of think too hard about math, I've made this long weekend a sewing weekend, since I had to finish up Delores' Puppet Show Curtains. They are done, and I've eliminated most of the extra Emma fur that was stuck to the red velvet.


I also worked on the bag I promised to Sharon 2 Christmases ago. It was supposed to be for her trip to Italy. Well, I missed that deadline (November of 2005) but luckily she is going to Europe again (gee, hope Europe doesn't get boring...) and I hope to have the bag done by then. It has mostly been hand sewn. I tried today to do a bit of machine sewing. Unfortunately, the tension is strange and it bunched up a bit on the front. I'm going to have to put some piping along the edge to cover it up; I decided to finish the bag's details with hand sewing and save the machine sewing for putting the thing together. The bag will be my new car project, since hand sewing is portable.


Finally, I started on the quilt for my next door neighbor's new baby. She isn't due until January, which give me some time. I chose fabrics I would use if I could have kids. I love blue and yellow with sweet, delicate patterns. Dan (the dad and dad-to-be next door) says that Melissa (the mom and mom-to-be next door) says it will be a girl. Not a big surprise since they already have two little girls, but I still think blues and yellows are sweet for a baby. I planned out the parts and measured and trimmed and paid attention to the print on the fabric. I spent a great deal of time, actually, in the planning stage. Alas. Dinner beeped and freaked me out, and I cut something an inch short. Then I cut it again. Would you believe it's still too short?

Luckily it's only half a yard of one of the fabrics. I'll cut all the remaining pieces and see about getting another piece. Of course, the piece I miscut was the largest piece - the one I was building the design of the quilt upon. Así es mi vida.

I thought about working on my shades for the guest room, but how many projects can one flub in one day? :)

I'll be going to the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend. I'm actually taking a day off work to take a spinning class! I'm quite excited about that. I'm going both Friday and Saturday.

Until then, ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home